It is a common cliché that men don't know much about fashion and are clueless when it comes to style.
Whether this is true or not, it must be admitted that many men do not know what constitutes good fashion. Good fashion is made up of many things but has a few essential building blocks upon which everything else takes form. These building blocks include some key items every man should have in his closet. Whether a man is conservative or flamboyant in his style, these are a few items he should have before he turns 40.
Neckties have a bad reputation as a boring piece of clothing that is given as a gift when you can't think of anything else and worn out of obligation.
However, neckties do not need to be so. Every man should have a collection of neckties that are of good quality and that are also stylish for day-to-day use.
For dinner parties and other formal social events, a bow tie is essential. It is a classic symbol of male fashion and adds something extra to any tuxedo.
Most people wear t-shorts casually. However, there are many types of t-shirt styles and depending on body type, one style might not fit all.
Before a man turns 40, he should have figured out what styles suit him and stocked up on it. Online stores like Zero Fucks Given have a good collection of cool tees for cool men.
Almost no man goes through life without wearing a belt. This is why men should have a belt or a collection of belts that are of good-quality leather and will stand the test of time rather than cheaply made ones that need to constantly be replaced.
For those cold winter months, a fashionable winter coat will be a man's best friend. Not only should it be thick enough to keep the wearer warm, but should also be stylish.
A man's timepiece tells a lot about him and can even be passed from generation to generation.
By 40, every man should have invested in a high-quality timepiece both for everyday use and for special occasions.
7. A well-tailored suit: There are few things that scream masculine fashion more than a suit.
And not just any suit but a tailored one that fits him to a T. Whether one or a dozen, every man should invest in a suit.
8. A duffel bag: From weekend getaways to long trips, duffel bags are built to do it all and every man needs one for such occasions.
9. Jeans: No modern man's wardrobe is complete without jeans and getting one that is the right fit and the right type of denim can make all the difference in an outfit.
10. A leather wallet: By 40, a man should be past the days of cheap wallets that fall apart every few months and should have invested in a wallet of durable leather material that will last for years to come.
11. A casual jacket: For those days when a jacket is needed for a casual outfit, a go-to jacket should be acquired by the man.
12. A pair of sunglasses: Regardless of the style of the glasses in question, every man by the age of 40 should have at least one pair that he can pull out when needed.
These glasses should properly fit his face and accentuate his features.
13. A pair of swimwear: Even though more attention is given to women's swimwear, it is important for a man to figure out what type of swimwear he is comfortable with, be it speedos or swim trunks.
After he does this, he should get a good pair for days at the pool or beach.
14. Shorts: There will inevitably be days where a pair of shorts are needed and as a result, a man should invest in a good pair or two.
Whether chinos or baggy shorts, quality is key.
15. Cufflinks: Cufflinks are absolutely beautiful to look at and say a lot about a man's personal style.
He can have them customized with his initials or any symbol that means a lot to him.
There you have it. Life might begin at 40 but fashion certainly does not. Long before this milestone, a man should have laid the foundation for his personal style and can do this by investing in some of these items in his wardrobe.
(Note: The article has been contributed by Jason Smith, a freelance writer from Bangkok.)
(Cover image via Pixabay)